12 October 2006

Firefox 2.0 Integration

The new version of Firefox 2.0 introduces a new and simple way to integrate Firefox with aggregators. While you needed an extra extension to add subscriptions from Firefox 1.5 to Liferea, now you can add Liferea support without any extra software.

You can now tell Firefox 2.0 to use the "liferea-add-feed" script to add new subscriptions to Liferea. You can change the feed handling either by going to the Preferences dialog or by clicking on the feed symbol. In both cases you will be presented with a menu where you can select "Choose Feed Reader". After clicking a file selection should popup. Select "/usr/bin/liferea-add-feed" and you are done!

Note: If you were using FeedBag with Firefox 1.5 it should have been disabled automatically and you can safely remove the extension.

6 comments:

Jay L said...

I can't do this at all. I don't have an application or file called /usr/bin/liferea-add-feed. So, when I click on Preferences>Choose Application, my usr/bin alternatives are liferea and liferea-bin. If I choose liferea, clicking the feed icon just launches the application, but does not add the feed. If I choose liferea-bin, I just get an error message about how an application of liferea is already running.

Am I looking in the wrong place? I'm running Ubuntu>Dapper

Callum Macdonald said...

Hey Jay L,

You could try running the command `locate liferea-add-feed` which will search for that file. It might be in a different location (although I think that's unlikely).

Also, check which version you're using? Is it recent? I'm guessing the liferea-add-feed program was added in a fairly recent release. I'm using 1.2.15 and I have it working with no problems.

Cheers - Callum.

Anonymous said...

I have it set exactly the way as outlined. Absolutely nothing happens.

Anonymous said...

same thing. i downloaded liferea today, so i'm sure mine is up to date. i added "/usr/bin/liferea-add-feed" without quotes to choose apps in feed preferences of firefox. nothing.

Alex said...

Turns out that you need to have gnome support in Firefox for some reason. Otherwise it'll never launch the helper app. On my Debian system the relevant package was iceweasel-gnome-support. On Ubuntu it's firefox-gnome-support. Other distributions should be something similar I'd imagine.

Anonymous said...

install firefox-2-gnome-support for firefox 2.